For over 30 years, this nationally accredited, professional program has been placing trained certified nurse aides (CNAs)in homes to assist families. These aides provide support to the elderly, those discharged from hospitals or rehabilitation centers, caregivers and disabled or dependent persons who want to remain independent in their own homes.
Customized services may include:
- Meal preparation and grocery shopping
- Home management tasks such as light housekeeping to ensure a safe, clean environment.
- Respite for caregivers
Services can be short-term or ongoing. For more information, contact:
Older Adult Services Manager. (540) 563-5316 ext. 3013
Each year, many older adults and younger disabled adults are victims of abuse.
Forms of abuse include:
1. Neglect – failing to provide necessary assistance to keep physically and mentally healthy
2. Self-Neglect – the failure to provide one’s self with the necessities of life
3. Financial exploitation – a person’s resources or property is stolen or mismanaged for another individual’s profit or advantage
4. Emotional or mental abuse – the intentional infliction of mental anguish by verbal threats, intimidation, or humiliation
5. Physical abuse – the intentional infliction of physical pain or injury
6. Sexual abuse – unwanted sexual activity
Look for warning signs!
Examples might include: (these signs could also indicate other problems that do not involve abuse)
1. sudden changes in weight, behavior or finances
2. withdrawal from social activities
3. untreated, unexplained, or repeated injuries or health problems
4. poor hygiene, unsanitary environment
5. severe anxiety, fearfulness, depression
Speak Up! Report Suspected Abuse!
1. to local law enforcement
2. to a social service agency
3. toll- free 24-hour hot line at 1-888-832-3858
Reports can be made anonymously! There’s no excuse for elder abuse!
Please join Family Service at Friendship Retirement Community's "Healthy Hearts, Healthy Minds, Healthy Homes" event on Friday, May 24, 2013 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.: 397 Hershberger Road, Roanoke, VA 24012. This is a FREE senior's fair focused on healthy senior living. Meet vendors from all aspects of retirement and senior living services. For more information, please call Heather Sellers at (540) 283-4823. Presented by the Family Violence Coordinating Council, a committee of the Council of Community Services.