Domestic Violence Treatment
Breaking the Cycle
The Domestic Violence and Anger Management Program offers professional counseling services for both perpetrators and victims of violence. Services are primarily provided in group format, with individual and couple therapy provided where appropriate. The program is designed to interrupt abusive behavior patterns and teach new ways of relating and dealing with conflict in intimate relationships.
Who We Help
Men who batter… tend to be very jealous, possessive, controlling, sulk silently when upset, have explosive tempers, criticize partners constantly about little things such as cooking, clothing and appearance, have difficulty expressing feelings, control partner’s behavior, money and decisions, drink in excess or use drugs break things around the house, throw things at partner, hit, shove or kick partner when angry
Men who need… to eliminate abusive behaviors, help with self-image to learn non-violent ways of dealing with anger and stress, to accept responsibility for their violent actions, to understand their feelings, attitudes and behaviors
Women/Men who are battered… are frightened by a partner’s temper, feel isolated and alone, often give in because of fear of hurting partner’s feelings, apologize for partner’s feelings, are criticized constantly, have been kicked, hit, shoved, struck by objects thrown by a partner in jealousy or anger
Women/Men who need… help with self-esteem, support from others to share their feelings, confidence and help with decision making
Men Ending Domestic Violence
The program is designed to help men focus on their personal behaviors and how their actions impact not only themselves, but also partners, spouses, children and others around them. This shift in viewpoint is part of a community coordinated response to make perpetrators responsible. By recognizing and learning how to handle angry situations, violent eruptions may be avoided.
This may lessen: abusive behaviors stress or trauma, work/school problems, family problems. Specialized services are also available for children, women, parents, persons with alcohol-related problems and others. Included is the TransParenting (Children Cope with Divorce) program.
Groups are currently available in the Domestic Violence and Anger Management Treatment Program on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. In addition, services are offered on an individual basis for victims of abuse. They are:
- Domestic Violence Groups for Men
- Domestic Violence Group with Substance Abuse Issues for Men
- Co-ed Anger Management Group
- Domestic Violence and Anger Management for Men and Women - This group provides psychoeducation therapy and support to men and women who are experiencing painful consequences from their own pattern of anger. Sessions (sixteen weeks) are held on Tuesdays from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Domestic Violence and Substance Abuse Issues for Men - This group provides substance abuse education, therapy and support to men who are experiencing painful consequences from their own patterns of anger and abuse. Sessions (sixteen weeks) are held weekdays (evenings).
Help is Available
- Subsidized service fees available.
- All inquiries are totally confidential
- Assist with referrals to other community services
For more information, please contact Dorothy Pryse, Intake Coordinator at (540) 563-5316 ext. 3014